Thursday, September 08, 2005

Laughter

My dad person and my brother person were playing x-box football the other day. They were having a good time laughing and giving each other a hard time. It was a close game so they were excited. It was fun to hear laughter and enjoyment. My dad person just feels bad so much, but he can't let it control him. Even when he feels bad he tries to still participate in the family and have fun. He tries to protect the family from his pain as much as he can. Doesn't talk about it unless he is asked. He doesn't want to be a complainer and doesn't want others to change how they act because of him. Except for with my mom person and me. He will tell us about how he feels. I think part of it is he has to vent sometimes. He just gets so tired of the pain.

He told me that he does not feel like he does enough stuff with my brother persons, but when he gets home from work he is just exhausted from dealing with the day and trying to get through it. This x-box stuff is a good thing in that he can sit and do that even when he is tired and in low level pain. So it is an opportunity to hang out with them. He tries to protect the family from his pain , but you just can't do that all the time. I don't think it is good to do that all the time. Other people need to know so they understand what is going on.

Last weekend my dad and mom persons took my brother persons out to eat to the symphony one night, and my sister persons another night. Even when he did not really feel that good he just took his pain meds and pretended like nothing was wrong. He told me it was important. It is part of being a good father. That is part of dealing with pain, you have to just go on, if you stand still and let it take you over it will destroy you. So you have to just keep peddling the bike as he says. He had fun, but it is fun through a veil of pain. Sort of weird to think about.
I know his favorite thing is to just lay down and hug with my mom person. He feels relaxed and safe when they do that. Sometimes they play backgammon and talk and laugh. It is always a good thing to hear laughter. Seems like games are becoming an important part of the family being able to do things together.

We went for a walk the other day and even though they were walking too fast for me to get to smell everything I wanted to it was fun as always. They were talking about vacation. They love vacation and it sounds like they are looking forward to this one. They are good for them because they get to get away and all spend some time together doing fun stuff. I didn't want to go so they said they would let me stay in a dog bed and breakfast. I love those places, there are always lots of other dogs around to talk to and play with. Hope it is that one that serves the fancy organic dog food. Speaking of food I think I just heard someone say "woops" in the kitchen which means they have dropped something. Got to go check it out. More later.

No comments: