Friday, August 26, 2005

A Sticker

Went for a walk with one of my brother persons. I love to go for walks! So much to see and smell. It is great fun and I always get to bark at my friends. While we were walking I stepped on a sticker. It stuck right in my paw between the front two pads. Ouch! It hurt. I started to try and pull it out, but then I had an idea. I decided to leave it in a while and see what it was like to be in pain like my dad person.

At first it was not too bad. It hurt but hey I just did not put so much weight on it. That helped. Problem is you can't walk for long on three legs so I had to use it and it hurt, but every time I put weight on it then it would hurt even worse. It is like my dad person. He has a headache all the time and if he lays down, takes meds and puts an ice bag on it it feels better, but it still hurts. Problem is you can't live life in bed on meds so he has to get up and walk. Then it really hurts.

I thought that maybe if I left it in a while I would get used to it and it wouldn't hurt so bad. That was a wrong guess. Soon it was all I could think about and every time I put my paw down the pain just shot through my leg. By the end of the walk I could not think of anything else but that sticker. I didn't want a treat, I didn't want to bark at the cows or sniff my friend next door through the fence. I just wanted to lay down and make the pain go away. I figured this is how my dad person must feel everyday. No wonder it is hard for him to eat and do everyday things around the house much less go out and party. He does love to party.

I pulled the sticker out of my paw and it immediately felt better. It makes me appreciate what he goes through everyday. I don't really know how he gets up every morning and goes to work. I couldn't do it if I had a sticker in my paw. I wish there was some way to make his pain go away but so far there isn't. He just has to deal with it. Plus on top of that he has to deal with people at work and friends that just really don't understand. They mistake his condition for not caring, being lazy or over emotional. I couldn't deal with it for an hour, don't know how he deals with it 24/7. It does affect him and his moods, but more about that another time. Next time you get a sticker leave it in for awhile. It makes you look at life in a new way. Go figure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this blog. It's a very comedic way to explain a very serious medical issue. Thanks writing it.

Anonymous said...

Good post. It very eloquently explains how migraines affect your everyday life. It makes me very sad to think about that and not be able to do anything to help. Love you.

Anonymous said...

good analogy. It made me cringe to think about. Love you, hope today is an easier one.

Jessica said...

Your dad person is in my prayers. I sure wish that he wasn't in so much pain, but I can empathize with it. I'm glad that he has a best friend like you who's there for him. I'm sure it gives him comfort in the really rough times that he's going through. :/